Friday 25 November 2011

Talk about lost in translation...

The first time I heard the word 'kounoupi' in Greek, I might not have known what it was, but it sure did sound cute... all cuddly and fluffy and inviting... 

So imagine my disappointment when I learned that there's nothing delighful or charming at all when it comes the these creatures; when I learned that their sole remit in life is to do nothing but cause down and out misery. 

Oh yes, much to my chagrin, a Kounoupi is, in fact, a buzzing, bloodsucking monster.  A monster so small that you can actually hear it well before you see it and by then, of course, it's too late, as the damage has already been done.  The skin has reddened and the itching has started to the point that it's driving you mad.  Or in my case, the skin has gone a lovely, deep shade of purple, the affected area has swollen to the size of a beach ball and rather than having the luxury of a simple itch, there's that nagging, dull ache to contend with.  Moreover, let's not forget the accompanying blisters that suddenly spring forth as a result, obviously serving as an escape route for whatever is causing the swelling in the first place...

Nice, I know!  

Of course, I'm talking about the dreaded mosquito - a pointless, little creature, in my view sent to earth by the Devil... 

But whereas I'd hoped at this time of year they'd have all but disappeared by now, I have to admit such optimism was seriously misplaced...  A reality made clear only this morning when I found myself awoken by some rather loud buzzing in my ear. 

Now usually such a sound would signal the start of all out chemical warfare, involving the use of every spray, lotion and potion in a bid to defeat the attacking enemy.  However, still being half asleep on this occasion I did think a simple wave of my arm would win the battle, which, naturally, didn't suffice... and the blighter decided to teach me a lesson, by way of making a meal of my face. 

Not just any part of face, however, the edge of my bottom lip to be exact.  And although it might be an exaggeration to tell you I've since spent the day looking like elephant woman, at least I now know what I'd look like if I ever decided to go for collegen...

6 comments:

  1. I agree to failing to understand the purpose of the mosquito. I awoke one morning this summer with half of my face swollen and bearing four red, itchy welts. It took ice and a few benadryl tablets just to get the swelling down and quell the itch a bit. How can something so tiny create such discomfort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly know what you mean, Linda. Discomfort being too kind a word in my view.

    Can anyone explain where the mosquito fits when it comes to the cycle of life? Because I'm damned if I can, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mosquito - integral to microbial and viral life evolution as well as other living creatures including people. We enjoy long term survival as an evolving species due to the genetic changes and insensitivity to "small viral/microbial life." Are physic-psycho system grows as a survival mechanism. This is not toe say every genetically related line will survive but humanity progresses.

    I believe that we are still a young species with genetic predispositions and behavior not related to our current society, but survival through the challenges we all phase and respond successfully or not.

    In microbes the have eternal life from eternal cell division, where humans, as an example we have eternal (or not) by having offspring replace us. The mosquito is just one mechanism...

    Dr Zarlenga

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what harms or kills us as individuals, only makes us stronger as a species... I totally get that, Dr. Zarlenga.

    Unfortunately, it doesn't make our insensitivities to things like mosquito bites any easier to cope with. But I suppose we all have our crosses to bare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beware the 'kounoupi' should be a motto for all Southerners! LOL! I grew up in Florida and have lost count of the MANY bites Ive had over those years. Nasty little rascals!

    Enjoyed your post, Suzie!

    HOLIDAY HUGS, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kari.

    Beware the Kounoupi is certainly my motto!

    Please drop by again x

    ReplyDelete