Saturday 21 July 2012

The Cat's Out of the Bag!

Well, everyone, I didn't expect to be doing another blog post so soon, but thank's to my lovely friend, Donna Trinder, ( http://donnasroomforreading.blogspot.co.uk/ ) I didn't think I had much choice...  Oh yes, the cat is well and truly out of the bag! 

Of course, I knew Going Underground was about to feature in August's edition of Scootering Magazine, but it isn't supposed to be available until 26th of July.  So imagine how surprised I was when Donna posted this onto her Facebook page this morning... and what a lovely suprise it was too!

As you can see, there's an interview entitled 'A Quick One with Suzie Tullett' - a title that made me giggle.  However, it's the review of Going Underground that really made me smile... and I thought I'd share Mark Sargeant's words with you today.

Here's what he says:

"On opening the cover of Suzie Tullett’s debut novel, Going Underground, you find the proclamation ‘It’s not about living in the past, it’s about living with it…’ a single sentence that is an accurate and prophetic overview of the forthcoming story.  Her main characters introduced in the first few chapters, where they are attending the funeral of what is essentially the eighth main character whose demise was due to a freak accident involving his scooter. 

Going Underground explores relationships pushed to breaking point, friendships tested to the limit and beyond, as the three respective journeys take in a number of interweaving experiences heading to the trio of lads’ goal.  Clever use of song titles for each chapter gives a reflection of what is coming next, which adds a kind of comfortableness for the reader, identifying with the characters through the song lyrics.  I’ve purposely avoided giving much of the plot away, as that would be a spoiler, suffice to say it’s a road trip on scooters.  
For me, Suzie Tullett’s debut book would be a must watch film or mini series, should, and I do think it should, make the transition from written word to celluloid. 
Going Underground is among one of the best fictional books I’ve read, it works on many different levels as well as embracing and incorporating contemporary Mod and scooter culture of today as the background to the story.  
A highly recommended read with wide appeal."
Sarge
How lovely is that?  Now if you want to read the whole piece, Scootering Magazine is available through any newsagents and the likes of WHSmith - although depending on where you live you might not be able to pick a copy up until the 26th July!
Happy reading, everyone x


13 comments:

  1. How totally fab, Suzie. Is it an American magazine? I wondered because of the use of 'quickie'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a British magazine, Jenny, that comes out every month. But it does have a world wide subscription readership, which makes the feature even more exciting x

      Delete
  2. Thrilled to read that someone else thoroughly enjoyed your book Suzie.....they have great taste (as I do)....ha ha!! Lots of continued success and many more great reviews which you thoroughly deserve. J xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say, Jane. Thank you x

      Delete
  3. WTG Suz!!!

    linda_bass@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABulous! Well done, Suzie! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sheryl and now I have spelt your name correctly! Lovely of you to say x

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely brilliant review. The book sounds like a great read and one I think I'm going to have to put on my TBR list! Enjoy these reviews, it sounds like the kind of novel that is going attract some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rebecca, I hope Going Underground does attract more reviews like this! And if it does reach the top of you TBR pile, I hope you enjoy reading it even more than I enjoyed writing it... Hope to see you here again and thanks for dropping in x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that he's ready to see your book on the big screen. Now we're talking some big bucks, right? Hope it happens for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone who's been in touch about having enjoyed Going Underground has said the same thing, Paulita - here's hoping this end, too x

      Delete